The gap writing contest
showcase your talent
Bridging the gap and highlighting local talent, the GAP Project is designed to create site-specific, temporary public art that will enliven the Galaxy and surrounding area. Leading up to the launch later this year GAP is running a writing and art contest, with the winners to be announced at the GAP launch event.
Entry is free, so get creative. Write a short story of up to 700 words in any genre you choose, all styles are welcome. Or put pen to paper and send us a poem of up to 70 lines on any subject you choose.
There are an additional two special categories for work inspired by one of our themes: The word “Gap” or the town Luton.
All categories are open to everyone and individuals can submit to more than one category but are limited to no more than 3 submissions in total across all categories.
There are three age categories: up to 9, 10-17, 18+
There are prizes! There will be cash prize of £50 for the best story, best poem and best themed piece in each of three age categories.
There will be five runner ups selected from across the categories and age groups who will receive the following prizes donated by the Galaxy Centre, Luton:-
- Meal at The Whitehouse for two,
- Meal at Nando’s for two,
- 2 x Cinema Tickets,
- A game of ten pin bowling,
- The Gym day pass.
In addition, we aim to select at least 20 stories and 20 poems for publication by NINE RED Presents… (CIC) in an anthology that will include the winning art from the GAP Art Contest and that will be available in paperback. A copy will be given to all winners and individuals with selected entries included in the anthology.
Deadline for submissions: 30 June 2020
Winners and authors accepted for publication will be notified by 31 August 2020.
The Gap Writing Contest Road Map
- The contest will be divided segments:
- Gap Writing Contest (three segments):- Short stories, Poems, Theme inspired
- The GAP Writing contest will be open until June 30th, 2020.
- The contest will be free to enter.
- The contest will be open to anyone living in Luton and Bedfordshire.
- The work can be in any genre.
- The work can be on any subject.
- There is a special prizes and categories for any work that is inspired by the word “Gap” or the town “Luton” . The word “gap” has many uses and can be interpreted in many ways; this theme is to encourage people to be creative.
- Age groups: up to 9, 10-17, 18+
- Submission to be made by email together with applicant information.
This segment of the contest is all about writing of story of not more than 700 words, can be on any subject and any genre. Work must be previously unpublished.
This segment of the contest is all about poems of not more than 70 lines, can be on any subject and any genre. Work must be previously unpublished.
This segment of the contest is all about work (writing/art) that is inspired by the word “Gap” or “Luton”. Work must be previously unpublished.
The GAP Writing Contest – Submissions: Terms and Conditions
What You Need to Know
- There are three age categories: up to 9, 10-17, 18+
- Submission is open to writers who live in Bedfordshire.
- There will be cash prize of £50 for the best story, best poem and best themed piece in each of three age categories.
- All entries must be written in English. Work should be original and not previously published.
- For the special category stories and poems must reflect the theme: Gap – You are free to interpret that as creatively as you wish. Or be about Luton. Only one entry per person.
- Short story must be no longer than 700 words. There is no minimum word limit. Any genre is acceptable, e.g. mystery, romance, science fiction, history. Only one entry per person
- Poems must be no more than 70 lines. All types of poem are welcoming: free verse, rhyming, haiku, sonnet, etc. You can submit a maximum of three poems, which should be in a single document.
- Entries are limited to 3 per person in total across all categories. i.e. 1 x poem, 1 x short story, 1 x special category; Or 2 x poems and 1 x short story, or 2 x poems and 1 x special category.
- Entries should be submitted in Microsoft Word, RTF or Plain Text formats, as an attachment to an email
- All work should be typed in Arial size 12 font and should include a word or line count.
- Writers should not include their name on any part of the attachment, as entries will be judged anonymously.
- We aim to select at least 20 stories and 20 poems for publication by NINE RED Presents… (CIC) in an anthology that will include the winning art from the GAP Art Contest and will be available in paperback. A copy will be given to all winners and individuals with selected entries included in the anthology.
- Please do not submit material that is not family friendly – Think PG rating
- Judges cannot correspond with entrants or give feedback on submissions.
What you need to do
- All entries should be submitted as an attachment to an email and sent to email@example.com
- Please type GAP2020 Submission in the email subject line and specify whether the submission is a) short story, b) poetry, c) special category or d) mixed entry. If you wish to submit across categories, please send them in separate documents. You can submit them together in one email.
- Please include the following details in the body of your email:
- Your full name
- Age category
- Title of pieces
- Email address/phone number
- Address including postcode.
Deadline for submissions: 30 June 2020
Winners will be notified by: 31 August 2020